Tuesday 19 November 2013

Oxymoron of the Day: The Dairy-Free Latte

When starting out on this adventure of a diet, I would never have thought that I would one day cut out most dairy. For the first two years, most of my calories probably came from heavy cream, butter and cheese. I figured that my dairy swigging ancestors were backing me up on this one: I was genetically destined to dine on dairy.

Maybe so, but after reading a fair few books, blogs and articles on the subject, I started questioning whether all that PROCESSED dairy was actually good for me. Perhaps that homogenised, pasteurised dairy bore very little resemblance to what my ancestral dairy drinkers consumed?

So I started to experiment. Stopped buying cheese and cream. Clarifying my butter. Kept dairy as a treat when having food out on weekends. After noticing a few convincing changes (no monthly pain, no colds), I decided to stick to it.

One challenge remained, however. My weekday coffee. Without cream, what was the point? I tried chucking loads of butter into it (aka bulletproof coffee), but never liked it. Tried coconut cream, but it was too sweet. Coconut oil, ghee... All of it was just plain dissatisfying and sometimes bordering on disgusting. So before putting my espresso thingy up for recycling, I tried one more, slightly nausea inducing experiment: the egg latte.

Egg. Ghee or coconut oil. Espresso. Hand mixer.

The rest is history, because the result was Heaven.In.A.Mug.


3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the egg latte. Sounds so disgusting, but tastes so good. Especially flavoured with cinnamon, cardamom and/or vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. pure ghee manufacturers

    ReplyDelete